Matrix is an ecosystem for open and interoperable communication (see interoperability).
It is about making communication based on different technologies
"as easy as sending an email"
# Aspirational Goals
Matrix’s initial goal is to fix the problem of fragmented IP communications: letting users message and call each other without having to care what app the other user is on.
A long term goal is to act as a generic HTTP messaging and data synchronisation system for the whole web. This will allow people, services and devices to easily communicate with each other, empowering users to own and control their data and select the services and vendors they want to use.
# Legal Status & Location
ADD YOUR TEXT
# When did they start?
add year if available + source of possible, if vanished add when and why
# How do they work?
The open network enables secure, decentralized communication delivering four key elements for doing so:
- a community of users - bridged networks - integrated bots and applications - full end-to-end encryption.
Matrix offers a diverse enough solution against the increasing silofication of communication bubbles in a northern hemisphere world of abundant access to computing resources. It offers today what Tim Berners-Lee calls Socially Aware Cloud Storage. See Solid html
# How are they financed?
describe and add links to innovativ models or to partners, add important partnerships
# Which Dimensions of Commoning are fostered?
Two options: You add a general and interpretative description here,then get rid of the red font color. Or you add a short description per dimension. Whatever you do, it is important to signal the dimensions of Commoning, that, according to your judgement, are met and shortly explain why. You can also add another list with those that are irrelevant and/or not met.
- Cultivate Shared Purpose & Values - Ensure Fair Abundance - Strengthen the Nested-I - Decouple Giving & Taking - Practice Gentle Reciprocity - Honor Care - Deepen Interdependency on Nature - Trust Situated Knowing & Be Creatively Adaptive - Preserve Relationships in Addressing Conflicts - Reflect on Your Peer-Governance
# Peer-Governance in the Commons
USE THIS TO QUOTE
- Separate Commons & Commerce - Develop Shared Purpose & Values - Assure Commoners' Consent in Decisionmaking - Set Semi-Permeable Boundaries - Relationalize Property. It's an "own your own data" but federate approach. - Ritualize Togetherness - Share Knowledge Often & Widely - Honor Transparency in a Sphere of Trust - [Respect Human Dimensions] - Direct Capital to Commons Provisioning - Self-Monitor, Mediate & Sanction
# How does Provisioning through commons occur?
Describe what is being produced and how in this Commons. Then, assess which elements of Provisioning through Commons are present? Be as concrete as possible, even storytelling might fit!
- Share the Risks of Provisioning - Make & Use Together - Pool & Share - Pool, Cap if Necessary & Divide up - Cap & Mutualize - Trade with Price-Sovereignty - Use Convivial Tools - Rely on Distributed Structures - Produce Cosmo-Locally - Cocreate Generative Change - Protect & Extend Value Sovereignty. Concept of full data autonomy is key
"empowering users to own and control their data and select the services and vendors they want to use."
# Use Convivial Tools - SOCIALIZING TOOLS & INFRASTRUCTURES: The Matrix protocol makes sure that message streams of users and communities remain available to communication partners, even if intermediaries within the network topology drop out or organise anew. The clue is that each organisation can run its own home server to remain in full data autonomy, while still being able to bridge to and interact with other messaging platforms.
ontological ground and political culture
# Inner Kernel
- Metaphors: The ethymology of matrix states it as meaning uterus, womb or pregnant animal.
Proceed the same way selecting from the following dimensions
# Realms of Commoning
delete those which don't apply; if you are missing a top-level-tag; put a note in [Notes to Silke]
Matrix Website html
# See also
add closely related pages
#Go Back to FRAMEWORK, TEMPLATE; ETC
# to be discussed I've never understood, why the digitals use the word "ecosystem" to describe their build (and totally artificial) environment.